St Mary's Church, Putney, London SW15
St Mary’s Church has a Grade 2 listing and lies beside the River Thames at the foot of Putney Bridge. The church tower is probably the oldest remaining structure in the Borough of Wandsworth.
The Parish wished to expand the role of the church in the community by expanding its facilities. The new Brewer Building replaced an existing 1950’s hall and provides space for a new hall, meeting rooms, a café and space for a nursery school.
Within the church an old gallery lost in a fire in the 1970s was replaced, and the re-ordering of the nave space begun at that time completed with the re-siting of the nave entrance to the centre of the Southern aisle.
The church now houses a thriving nursery school and a successful café and is home to the Wandsworth Symphony Orchestra as well as having a variety of rooms regularly used for community meetings.
More recently a dedicated exhibition space has been completed to record the Great Debates held in the church to determine the future of the Country at the conclusion of the English Civil War and the original Laud font that had been lost to the church has been restored and reinstated in the nave.
Click a thumbnail below to view the image.